Legacy Giving/Bequests Financial Literacy
A Legacy Gift is a lasting investment in Angels Landing Foundation to ensure that every youth leaving the foster care system has a community of caring adults waiting for them after they turn 18. Legacy Giving to Angels Landing can be done directly through a will or trust, by naming Angels Landing Foundation as the beneficiary of a retirement account, or through giving options that provide tax benefits and even income.
If Angels Landing Foundation is already included in your estate plans, please let us know. We would be grateful for the opportunity to thank you for your support and recognize your generosity by welcoming you into the Family Forever Society, a special group of caring individuals who have shown their support for future foster youth with a legacy gift.
Legacy Gifts offer many benefits to you and your loved ones:
- Your assets remain in your control throughout your lifetime
- You can modify your gift to address changing circumstances
- Your investment in Angels Landing Foundation may reduce potential estate taxes and may also help your loved ones avoid paying income tax on their inheritance
Recent tax law changes have been favorable to charitable giving, so now is a great time to plan your legacy!
We invite you to leave a legacy for tomorrow by considering one of the planned giving opportunities.
Bequests From a Will Or Trust
The most common form of legacy gift is a bequest from a Will or Trust. A bequest is a section of your will or living trust that directs a gift from your estate to the person or institution of your choice.
- Bequests may be a fixed amount (e.g. $20,000), a percentage (such as 10%), or a remainder after all other specific bequests have been distributed
- Specific property such as real estate may also be used in a charitable bequest
Sample language to add a bequest to a Will or Trust:
General Bequest: “I give to Angels Landing Foundation, a Utah nonprofit corporation, Tax ID 83-1245195, <the sum of $____________> to be used in furtherance of its exempt charitable purposes.”
Residual or Proportional Bequest: Substitute “<xx percent> or <all of the residue of my estate.>”
Bequest of Property: Substitute “<all of my interest in the following described property ____________>”
When you make a bequest, please fill out our Letter of Intent form by clicking the button below. Once filled out, right-click and save; then email to EMAIL HERE.
Charitable Gifts From Retirement Accounts
- An asset you no longer need can make a wonderful gift
- Many people hold paid-up life insurance policies that they no longer need to protect their family
- Ownership may be transferred to Just in Time, who will utilize the value to support our life-affirming services
- Receive an income tax deduction equal to the cash surrender value of the policy
Gifts Of Real Estate
If you own real estate, consider gifting it to Angels Landing when you no longer need it. In addition to avoiding the hassle of a sale, gifting real estate such as your residence or rental property may provide significant tax and other benefits.
There are multiple ways to invest in the futures of young people leaving the foster care system with a gift of real estate:
- Make a specific bequest in a will or trust
- Avoid paying capital gains on appreciated property by gifting it to Angels Landing, who will sell it and invest the proceeds to brighten the lives of hundreds of transition-age foster youth
- Create a life estate: transfer a future interest in your home now, receive a sizable immediate tax deduction, and continue to use and enjoy the home during your lifetime. A future gift with immediate benefits!
Gifts That Pay Income To The Donor
Charitable Remainder Trusts, Charitable Annuity Trusts, and Charitable Gift Annuities each allow donors to make a gift of cash or appreciated property in exchange for payments for their lifetime or a term of years.
- Avoid capital gains on the sale of your appreciated assets
- Receive an immediate charitable income tax deduction for the charitable portion of the contribution
- Establish a future legacy gift to Angels Landing
This information above is the intellectual property of JIT and is shared with Angels Landing for use as part of the 100k community partnership. © JUST IN TIME FOR FOSTER YOUTH, All Rights Reserved, Use With Permission Only